Government scraps 14-day self-isolation for care home residents in England on 'low-risk' trips

Last Updated: 01 May 2021 @ 00:00 AM
Article By: Sue Learner

The government has bowed to pressure from families of care home residents in England and is now allowing them to go on outdoor ‘low-risk’ trips without having to quarantine for 14 days on their return.

Under the new guidance which comes into force on Tuesday 4 May, care home residents will be able to visit a friend or relative’s garden or go on walks in places such as parks, public gardens and beaches. Up till now they have been having to self-isolate on their return to the care home but this is no longer the case.

Residents must be accompanied by either a care worker or a nominated visitor and follow the government guidelines of washing hands regularly, keeping social distance and remaining outside.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: “We know how challenging this time has been for care home residents, so I am pleased that they can now leave their homes to reunite with their loved ones outdoors.

“With the data continuing to head in the right direction and as restrictions ease, it is my priority to keep increasing visits for residents in the coming weeks in a safe and controlled way.”

The government said that keeping visits outdoors will ensure any risk is minimised as much as possible.

Minister for Care, Helen Whately added: “I know residents and their families have found the restrictions on trips out of care homes incredibly difficult. This is one more step towards getting back to normal, while protecting care homes from the continued risk of Covid-19.

“As part of this interim update before the next stage of the roadmap, care home residents will also be able to leave to spend time outdoors. I know this has been long-awaited for those who haven’t had a chance to enjoy trips out. I look forward to encouraging more visiting and trips out in future as we turn the tide on this cruel virus.”

The government stipulates that visits out of the care home should take place only outdoors, apart from using toilets, with no visits to indoor spaces (public or private) and avoiding the use of public transport where possible.

It has also put an exemption in place for care home residents wanting to vote in person for the upcoming local elections as long as they follow national coronavirus restrictions and measures in place at polling stations.

Residents 'will be glad' to see end to 'unfair, arbitrary policy'

The Relatives & Residents Association (R&RA) which has been campaigning to get the isolation rule lifted has welcomed the announcement, with its director Helen Wildbore, saying: "Older people in care will be glad to see the back of this unfair, arbitrary policy which left them behind in continued isolation whilst the rest of the country was free to get out and reconnect.

"We know from our helpline the damage quarantine is causing older people in care including increased depression, distress, and confusion for those with dementia. Residents will welcome the chance to enjoy the spring with their families."

She added: "We look forward to seeing the detail when the guidance is updated as there are still unanswered questions. Such as why older people need to be escorted on trips out. And what about medical appointments? The prospect of quarantine has prevented many older people from getting access to healthcare, which the government must urgently address.”

The government had been facing a legal challenge from Leigh Day solicitors on behalf of John’s Campaign over the rule that residents must self-isolate for 14 days any time they left their home. Lawyers were claiming it breached human rights.

Care home residents in areas with high, or rapidly rising, levels of infection in the local community and/or variants of concern (VoCs) will need to find out additional local advice from directors of public health. Latest statistics show 95 per cent of residents have received their first dose of the vaccine and 71 per cent have received their second.

Residents who have tested positive, or who have COVID-19 symptoms must self-isolate and would therefore not be able to leave the care home. In the event of an outbreak all residents must self-isolate, and visits out suspended to prevent the spread of the virus.

The government updated its guidance on April 12 for care homes to increase visiting, and allow two nominated visitors per resident.